Kornspeicher and Inspektorhaus
at Novalis-Museum Wiederstedt

Walk 2 Romanticism and more: From Ober- to Unterwiederstedt and back A short walk to the treasures of Wiederstedt

Sa, 17.6.23 10:00
Schäfergasse 8 Meeting point: Inspektorhaus at the Novalis Museum 06456 Arnstein, OT Wiederstedt

Together with some residents of Wiederstedt, we will stroll along memories, historical traces, and anecdotes through the village, which was created in 1950 by the merger of the communities of Unter- and Oberwiederstedt. Where might the young Novalis have played: on the wall of the Castle Park in Krötengasse [Toad Lane], in the mouth hole of the Wiederstedt mine tunnel? Did he read the time on the small sundial on the wall of the old monastery church? What does the future hold for the two churches in the village? In the tower of St. Marien [St. Mary’s], where Novalis was baptized, a newly restored clock ticks, while the brick church in Unterwiederstedt has been desecrated and sold, even though it was the place of worship used by the Protestant congregation in the 1970s. How did young, committed people from the village manage to save Oberwiederstedt Castle from demolition, and what drove them, what motivated them?

The flood protection dam along the Wipper River also holds a little secret. The name Mühlenstraße [Mill Street] refers to the location of the old mill. But where did the shepherd lead his animals on Schäfergasse [Shepherd’s Lane]? The inn “Zum Löwen” [The Lion] has been in the village for more than 100 years, and meals are still being prepared in the kitchen. But since when has the dining room been closed? 

The short walk is an occasion to talk about some treasures of the place.

Meeting point: Inspektorhaus at the Novalis Museum
Start: 10:00 a.m.
Return: around 01:00 pm
Length: 3.5 km